Friday, August 5, 2011

What would happen if I...?


"Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, 'Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?'
And I (Isaiah) said, 'Here I am. Send me!"
 Isaiah 6:8 (NIV)

 
"Lord, what would happen if I...?"

"What would happen, Lord, if I sold my television and prayed every night from midnight until 2:00 a.m.?" That is the question that David Wilkerson asked the Lord in 1958. The world would soon find out! After praying for several months, God  answered, "Go to New York City and help the teenage gang members." This was a big order for a skinny little Assembly of God pastor from a small Pennsylvania town. However, God had already begun preparing him for the mission by providing Leonard Ravenhill as a mentor.

The result: Teen Challenge, an addiction recovery program. Its mission is "to provide youth, adults and families with an effective and comprehensive Christian faith-based solution to life-controlling drug and alcohol problems in order to become productive members of society. By applying biblical priniciples, Teen Challenge endeavors to help people become mentally-sound, emotionally-balanced, socially-adjusted, physically-well, and spiritually-alive." Having an 86% or higher success rate worldwide, it has become known as the program with the "Jesus Factor."

Continuing to  pray from midnight to 2:00 a.m., God revealed another work for Pastor Wilkerson. In 1987, this "old-school" preacher planted a church in Times Square in the middle of New York City. Within two years, a historic theater was purchased to house the church, now with over 8,000 regular worshippers representing over 100 nationalites.

Having served God's purpose to his generation, Pastor Wilkerson went to be with the Lord in April 2011.

Moses made excuses when God called him to go to Pharoah (Exodus 3:1- 4:20). Jeremiah claimed that he was only a youth and could not speak well (Jer. 1: 1-10). In contrast, Isaiah gratefully responded, "Here am I. Send me!" (Isaiah 6).

"Lord, what would happen if I...?" Let's seek the Lord, asking Him what He has for EACH of us to do!


I love your praying hearts!
Bobbye












No comments:

Post a Comment